The ON DPG small research grant (for up to $2,500) is given on a competitive basis to support research in the area of oncology nutrition. The research or study may involve the following:
- May be part of Master’s thesis research, Doctoral or Post-doctoral research
- Qualitative or quantitative research
- Outcomes research
- Outcomes monitoring
- Nutrition Intervention
- QI projects may also be considered
- Animal studies
Application deadline is February 15, 2017.
Minimal Qualifications to Apply
Registered Dietitian and an Active Member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; ON DPG member preferred. If applicant is a student, a student membership in the ON DPG is required.
Two letters of recommendation (at least one from an RD, one from a mentor familiar with the project)
- Considerations: testimonial to the person’s interest, ability and the feasibility of the project from someone knowledgeable about the subject to be studied.
- Application must define how funds will be used (include itemized budget, with estimates).
Study must relate to oncology nutrition and questions/problem statement clearly defined (hypotheses).
Possible Topics to Consider:
- Cancer prevention (i.e. survey to determine if pre-post- test knowledge of nutrition education)
- Nutrition intervention studies (i.e. nutrition intervention and oral intake to help increase intake of calories/protein, maintain weight status, nutrition focused physical exam (NFPE) assessing lean muscle, education on feeding tube and rate of compliance/weight status, etc.)
- Late effects of treatment (i.e. HNC, weight management)
Expectations and Possible use of Funds
- The application will be treated as confidential information. Copies of the application will not be returned to the applicant.
- The applicant may apply for up to $2,500. Funds must be used to support the research only (i.e. purchase of equipment used to test hand grip strength, penlight, stethoscope, skin fold calipers, etc. to be used for NFPE) software programs (i.e. NVivo, SPSS, or SASS), etc.
- Funds are not to be used for salaries. Budget form must be completed and included in application.
- Research project to be completed in 2 years with updates on project at 6, 12, 18, 24 months.
- Final results/findings to be printed in the Oncology Nutrition Connection.
- Consider poster presentation at ON DPG Symposium (if attending). If attending, recipient could be invited to speak for 10-15 minutes on project/findings.
Application Submission Instructions
- Applications must be submitted electronically to Heidi Ganzer at email@example.com by February 15, 2017.
- Complete the attached application face sheet, budget form and award check payment form.
- Applications must be submitted as one scanned PDF document (to include application face sheet, budget form, award check payment form, proposal and supporting documentation such as appendices or references, and signed letters of recommendation).
- Complete applications must include the face sheet, budget form, proposal description (single spaced, 12 font. The proposal itself should not exceed 10 pages. The budget, face sheet and any appendix material are not included in the 10 page limit.)
- Proposal should include introduction and background, purpose and aim of the study (hypotheses to be tested), methodology and the feasibility of the study.
- Clinical studies will require IRB approval.
Questions can be directed to Heidi Ganzer DCN, RD, CSO, LD at firstname.lastname@example.org or 952-250-5440.
Page Updated: December 2016